lichess.org
Donate

[Feature request] Challenge offline players

I would really like to be able to challenge my friends to correspondence chess without having to keep a tab open until they come online.

I believe this already exists with correspondence games in general. If you start a seek, it'll stay up even if you close lichess.

Keeping a tab open isn't an acceptable alternative. I sometimes have to shut down my computer. Also, the request automatically expires after a few days, without any notice.
You already send a challenge to a player offline:

Hello rise !

For challenge to a another player disconnected, for exemple, do this:

1. Click on "Play with a friend"
2. Set your game (rated, time, variants, ect...)
3 Click on your color (black, white, random)
4 Copy the link
5 Send a message to the player you want to challenge.
6 When he click on the link, the game start.
Is this issue on track? Trying to sync up with a live friend to send a challenge and have them there to accept it is difficult still
+ 1 vote

Is there a issue open where I can vote on this?

I too find this quite annoying and wish it can be more simpler. For Corresponding games, one should able to create a request and NOT require to be blocked until accepted. The very nature of Correspondence is opponent are mostly like offline!

Thanks,
Zemian
The "play with a friend" option is still the easiest option for creating a correspondence game with someone offline. But as was noted earlier, these links tend to expire relatively quickly. The whole idea behind correspondence is that these games can be played with many days between moves, so that there is no pressure for players to come online daily. If the game challenge expires in 24 hours or less, and the intended opponent only checks the site once every 2-3 days, they may never see your challenge. The "play with a friend" option is also far less intuitive than simply sending a challenge. I'm not sure what sort of solution to recommend in order to make this better though. I think the way most sites handle this is to simply not handle challenges as real-time events that require you to wait, and then have an option whether or not to automatically have the new game pop up if you are online. From there it would require a feature to automatically cancel real-time challenges when you leave the site but not cancel correspondence challenges. It's quite a bit of a headache all around, and probably why there's been no change in how challenges are handled thus far.
On a side note, as this just hit me, some sites that handle challenges like this also use the same system for seeks. Thus when the seek is joined, the player gets a challenge notice instead of automatically joining unless they choose the option to automatically join games. Something like this might also cut down on the game aborts and players complaining about not wanting to play provisional players, etc. It would be nice to have the option of accepting/rejecting a response to a game seek.
The problem with Solal35's solution above, or the "Play with friend" is that when a friend click on that click without login to lichess.org first, it will start an annoymous game!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.